Tuesday, January 5, 2010

159-lb Sack of Potatoes

At least that's what I felt like when I started running today. I just thought to my self, "Really?? But I felt so good just two days ago doing this exact same thing!" The sack of potatoes thing soon wore off, but not as soon as I would have liked. It took about 22 minutes of my 33-minute workout to be exact! I know it has something to do with my legs that are still sore from my run two days ago, and then the rest of my body that is simply screaming out in protest because it has no idea what I'm doing.

I just can't believe that I have allowed myself to get this heavy in such a short amount of time. I felt a huge change in my body this summer, which also just happened to coincide with my 30th birthday. I always thought that the things my mom used to say about how much your body changes as you get older and how much harder it is to lose weight when you get older was jibberish. Little did I know that 30 would be my magic number. I was no longer able to simply cut back on my eating and fit in some "good" things here and there to lose 5-lb. And then I realized that I had become completely sedentary since I got married. I no longer lived downtown just one block away from the 2.5-mile canal walk that used to by my daily running/walking track. I no longer had to walk 2-3 flights of stairs to get to my apartment. I now had a house with a sewing room where I usually sit on my butt and work on projects when I get home from work.

I know for a lot of people 159 lbs. would not be considered "heavy," but for my 5'2" height, it has almost bumped me into the "obese" category. Just for fun, I also figured out my BMI today: 29.1 (30 is considered obese). This change is coming exactly at the right time!!

I have decided that my weight-loss goal is 125 lbs. Now, I don't know if this is even an achievable goal for my body, but I'm willing to try. I was almost there about 10 years ago when I ran 25 miles a day, but I don't know if I even owned a scale then. I just measured my body by how I felt when I was running and how my clothes fit. I'm excited about being in that place again.

No comments: